Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Thursday, June 12, 2008

    Chapai Nawabganj, April 2007

    Young Mangoes!!

    21 April 2007

    Even though it was an official tour, I was on the hunt. On the hunt for one moment, when I could break free and do some sight-seeing. We reached Chapai Nawabganj from Rajshahi in the morning hours. Was too busy from the start to do anything out of the ordinary. But I knew I had a moment of break right after lunch. And I knew that my hope didn't get vanished.

    It was almost 2:30PM when we were hiring a three-wheeler taxi. The drivers told us that a journey to Choto Sona Mosque near the Indian border would take at least a couple of hours just to go in and to return. So, I was content with a short visit to the mango orchards nearby.

    they're weaving a green carpet.........
    They are weaving a green carpet.......

    walking through the green carpet...............01
    Paddy fields on the riverbed of the Mahananda.......

    Mahananda Bridge..................01
    The bridge over the River Mahananda......... the river-bed is dry now in April and paddies are grown on the dried river-bed, but when the Rainy Season arrives, the water level would compete with the earlier watermarks on the bridge pillars............

    Mahananda Bridge..................03

    the embankment.......................01
    The embankment of the Mahananda Bridge......

    My colleague Faruque Bhai accompanied me. We reached the bridge across the Mahananda after some moments. The river was almost dry, with paddy fields covering the riverbed. It was almost like a green carpet. I wanted to spend more time there, but unfortunately I had one eye glued to my watch. I had to be back by around 3:30PM.

    mango orchard...........
    The mango orchards of Chapai Nawabganj..........

    mango children...................
    Mango children.........

    they are both green!!
    They are both green........

    We reached the nearest mango orchard just across the river. The mangoes were not to be found though. It was not yet time for the mangoes. They were green and still tiny. Orchard owners were guarding the trees. They were resting under the shade of the trees. It was a warm day; so, the green shadow provided them with some refuge. The owners were there in full force, with their whole family. Children flocked together and got very curious seeing camera in my hand. They were even happier seeing their faces in the camera's LCD.

    The mangoes were still green and many of them will not make it. I hope that won't be the same in the case of these children. We wish they don't drop out from their future.

    It wasn't too long when we decided that enough was enough. We turned around and got back to Chapai. It was a very short one-hour journey, yet had some important moments to share with everyone.

    3 comments:

    1. This is a brilliant shot and one of my favourite. Just today I saw this photograph included in a brochure from a UK-based charity Muslim Global Relief and the credit to this photo went to certain M. Baten. Got me a bit suspicious.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Thanks for the appreciation. Can you please mention which image you saw being used by "Muslim Global Relief" without my mention?...... I went to their website, where I couldn't find any activity of theirs in Bangladesh..... I wonder where they applied the picture, which shouldn't match with pictures from other countries.... its frustrating that I've given my picture in so many places just for a credit, but these people didn't have the heart for it!!..... its a shame!!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Hi there! u've got awesome vision to see things.. all these picz are simply amazing.. They are so alive!!.. keep it up!!

      ReplyDelete